There are many types of family child care that you can provide. You can serve as a mother's help, babysitter, nanny, au pair, family daycare, daycare center, relative care, and child care swap. Here, you will learn the ultimate family childcare toolkit.
Ultimate Family Childcare Toolkit: Policies and Procedures
Health and Safety
Security and Open Door Policy
- Detailed pickup and drop-off procedures. The procedures should also be consistent.
- Detailed guidelines on how families enter the center.
- Policies on how visitors or those allowed to pick up and drop off kids get in. There should beverification measures to ensure that the visitors have the green light from parents to pick a kid and that no imposter will have access to any children.
- Consider if you have an open door policy where families can drop off at any time to cuddle,nurse, or have lunch with their kids.
CPR and First Aid
- The staff has certifications in first aid and CPR.
- The certificates are up-to-date.
- Ensure the staff gets regular training to be prepared in case of emergency. The training should be attended regularly and a requirement for everyone.
Ratios and Supervision
- You adhere to the proportions.
- Ensure that child supervision is adequate.
- Have roll call procedures and transition tracking. This will ascertain the number of kids at thefacility at all times.
Food and Allergy Management
Ensure you have adequate measures to address food allergies. Below are points you should follow:
- How you will handle food allergies.
- Have a sound tracking system on the kid's food to avoid confusion.
- Have measures to ensure children receive the right food.
- Ensure the facility is nut-free.
- Ensure the staff can administer an EpiPen.
- Have the proper measures for allergy-related emergencies.
Sanitation and Cleanliness
- Proper hand washing of staff and children.
- Proper diapering and toileting procedures are followed. Diaper changes should be done in separate areas for the purpose.
- Proper cleaning of toys.
- Disinfection of surfaces done routinely throughout the day and when closing.Professional cleaning services.
- Teachers should wear gloves and sanitize the areas they conduct diaper changes.
Child development is the changes experienced by a child as they grow older. Besides physical changes, a child develops skills, knowledge, and behavior. As a child care provider, just like the parent, you will play a crucial role in the child's development. That notwithstanding, parent engagement will be very crucial in child development. Below are some of the areas of child development areas you should be aware of.
Thanks to our partnerships with state agencies we’ve compiled a list of the most common licensing violations.
Download this FREE checklist today!
This bit covers how children learn to speak words, sounds, and sentences. Language is also how children learn to use sign and body language. It is also how children learn to understand communication from others. Ensure teachers have fun with children, allow them to think, have conversations, use simple language, and repeat what they say.
Social and Emotional
- The discipline approaches are realistic for children.
- Teachers interact with students in a caring and appropriate way.
- Create a yes environment which models positive behavior.
- Ensure you encourage children to have behaviors such as negotiating, cooperating, helping, and problem-solving.
Are you looking for more child care management information? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Child Care Management.
Our child care management system makes running your child care program simple and efficient. Get back to what's most important. You shouldn't have to spend more time on the administrative tasks than you do with children and staff.
Get the latest and greatest child care news and information today! Sign up for our newsletter...
Or schedule a demo with us to learn more about how our child care management system, Alliance Core, can streamline your administrative processes.
Do you run an early childhood association made up of child care providers? If so, check out our Ultimate Guide to Shared Service Alliance.
Header image courtesy of Jumpstory.